GCO4008 Introduction to Information Systems - Gulf College
Learning outcome 1: Explain the technological, human and organisational components of an information system.
Learning outcome 2: Appreciate how computer systems and technology are used to support information systems.
Learning outcome 3: Identify particular types of information systems and describe how they are used by management in an organisation.
Learning outcome 4: Recognise how information is collected and used to advantage in an organisation.
You are being hired as a consultant to design a new information system for the online food ordering and delivery company, Talabat. The food delivery company operates in many cities across the GCC countries with an average of 1250 daily transactions. In 2012, Talabat expanded its business to Bahrain, United Arab Emirates and Oman. The company is developing rapidly and employing new staff as it grows.
You are being hired as a consultant to design a new information system for the online food ordering and delivery company, Talabat. The food delivery company operates in many cities across the GCC countries with an average of 1250 daily transactions. In 2012, Talabat expanded its business to Bahrain, United Arab Emirates and Oman. The company is developing rapidly and employing new staff as it grows. To improve efficiency across the organisation, your task is to design a new information system to meet the company's requirements and describe the measures of success including the five tasks outlined below and present the information in a report.
Your 2000-word report will demonstrate that you have:
- shown competence in finding, reading, analysing, and synthesising materials from the course readings and applied this material in the writing of your report.
- made use of the concepts, theories, models, and ideas introduced in the course to understand and analyse the requirements to make well-founded recommendations.
- researched and understood the purpose and operational context of the customer experience at the organisation in terms of the identified information system.
- shown creativity and initiative in understanding and capturing the organisation customer experience.
- identified, based on the afore-mentioned research, a new information system that you will recommend to the organisation together with a brief discussion of its implications for the business of the organisation.
- described the expected impact of the new information system on the organisation's performance and various stakeholders; and
- used analogies, where information was not available, to make logical and relevant assumptions.
TASK 1 - COMPANY ANALYSIS:
Provide information about the company, including its strategy, how it competes in the marketplace, and its operations.
Describe the organisational form of the company using Mintzberg's classification.
Present the value chain of the company using Porter's Value Chain Model. List and describe the primary and secondary (support) activities.
Analyse the competitive strategy of the company using Porter's competitive forces model. For each of the five forces, explain if that force is low, medium, or high, and explain why?
TASK 2 - A NEW INFORMATION SYSTEM:
Identify a new information system which can clearly add value to the business of Talabat (is it a primary or secondary (support) activities according to Porter's value model) and meets their specified requirements. Also, list the likely stakeholders of this new information system and define their roles.
Draw and elaborate a rich picture showing all the issues and the concerns of the stakeholders you have identified.
Draw and elaborate a process model using the Business Process Model and Notation (BPMN) for the process of the new information system you have identified.
Use the DeLone-McLean Model of Information System Success to describe the areas in which the existing information system has not been successful.
Describe the dimensions of impact of your new information system; identify intended effects (and negative effects) and describe the impact of the new system on the organisation, groups, and individuals.
Describe the measures of success (efficiency, efficacy, and effectiveness) for the proposed new information system.
Classify the new information system within the company as either: front-end, back-end, customer-facing, or supplier-facing.
TASK 3 - CONCLUSION:
Provide a summary of the main findings of the report.
TASK 4 - RECOMMENDATIONS:
Devise recommendations as to how Talabat can make use of a new Information System to provide better service to customers; and to ensure success of the system.
A list of references as per Harvard Referencing style with proper intext citation.
Attachment:- Introduction to Information Systems.rar