Question 1. Answer BOTH parts a and b
a) Describe briefly two types of foam systems.
b) What are the typical components of a mobile foam systems?
Question 2. Answer BOTH parts a and b
1. What is the door opening force resulting from the pressure difference produced by a smoke control system for a side hinged swinging door 3 ft wide by 7 ft high with a door closer that requires 9 lb of force and a pressure difference across it of 0.35 in. H2O?
The knob is 3 in. (0.25 ft) from the edge of the door
2. What is the emissive power of a blackbody at 1000 K? and calculate the incident radiation received by a target where the view factor (FV = 0.34) and the atmospheric transmissivity (??= 0.63).
Question 3. Answer BOTH parts a and b
1. What are the situations where a tank or some other stored body of water such as a pond, reservoir or river might be considered as the water supply for a fire protection system?
2. What is the role and advantages of detection system?
Question 4. Answer BOTH parts a and b
1. The development of fire scenarios is an integral part of the performance-based fire protection design process. What are the types of information that may be required for identifying and quantifying fire scenarios?
2. The number of fire scenarios may be too large for further analysis. To reduce the number of the identified fire scenarios to those that merit further analysis a selection process is required that involves the use of event trees. Give examples of the factors that can be considered when carrying out the event trees technique.
Question 5. Answer BOTH parts a and b
1. Use Hazen-Williams equation to calculate the friction loss for a new 6 in, schedule 40 pipe that is flowing 350 gpm What if the pipe is 1000 ft long? Hazen-Williams Coefficient is 120
2. What is the K - factor value of a sprinkler system flowing at 32 gallons per minute (gpm) with an operating pressure of 20 psi (pounds per square inch).
Question 6. Answer BOTH parts a and b
1. What is the activation temperature of a sprinkler head with an RTI of 120 m1⁄2 s1⁄2 when it was activated in 30 sec in a fire plume with a temperature of 500K and a velocity of 1.5 m/s? Assuming an ambient temperature of 298K.
2. Determine the thickness of spray applied cementitious material to obtain a 2 hour fire endurance when applied to a W 12 x 106 column. W/D = 1.44 lb/ft•
Section B Answer only TWO questions from this section
Question 7. Answer BOTH parts a and b
1. Storage tank deluge water spray systems are generally designed according to NFPA 15 and IP 19 guidelines. Discuss briefly both guidelines highlighting the main differences.
2. A storage tank T2 is exposed to radiant heat from an adjacent tank T1 fire. The heat radiation falling on T2 was predicted to be 2 8kW/m . Tank T2 is an open top type. Tank T2 diameter is 50m.
• Cooling water flow rate is 10.2 lpm/m2 (mobile)
• Cooling water flow rate is 2 lpm/m2 (fixed system)
i. The amount of water required to cool the exposed side (roof and wall) of the adjacent tank T2 (50% circumference cooling).
ii. Repeat the calculation in (a) using mobile system.
Question 8. Answer BOTH parts a and b
a. Describe briefly how does the sprinkler system work?
b. What is the maximum coverage and spacing for standard sprinklers other than sidewall sprinklers in the following?
i. Light Hazard Installations
ii. Ordinary Hazard Installations
iii. High Hazard Installations
Question 9. How does Water Mist System work and what is the importance of the droplet size?